- 1-1/2 (375 mL) cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shortening
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) old-fashioned, large flake rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line cookie sheets with Culinary Parchment.
- In bowl, stir together flour and salt.
- In large bowl, cream butter and shortening until light. Gradually blend in brown sugar until smooth. In small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Add to creamed mixture along with vanilla and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture until blended, then mix in rolled oats.
- Shape into small balls and place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on cookie sheets. Press with floured fork to flatten. Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.