- ½ pound (250g) farmers sausage (casing removed)
- 5 thick slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1 cup (250mL) onion, finely diced
- ½ pound (250g) Cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) dry sherry
- 10 cups (2500mL)day old bread, cubed
- 1 cup (250mL) beef broth
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from the pan and place in a bowl. Place the sausage meat in the same frying pan using a utensil to break meat apart. Cook evenly for about 5 minutes. Add to the bowl of bacon.
- In the same frying pan, sauté the onion in the bacon/sausage fat for about 8 minutes until golden brown and soft. Add in the mushrooms and a little oil if need be and cook a further 3 minutes. Add in the sherry and stir. Place this mixture in with the meat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the cubed bread and add in the meat & vegetable mixture. Pour in the beef broth, egg and pepper. Stir well to ensure all the bread is coated.
- Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper, including the sides. Pack in the stuffing and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve in slices.