Stuffing - Buttermilk Cornbread with Pears & Apricots
- ¾ cup (175mL) corn meal
- ½ teaspoon (2.5mL) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons honey (10mL)
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup (175mL) buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon (45mL) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (125mL) fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) sunflower oil
- ½ cup (125mL) onion
- ½ cup (125mL) pear, diced into cubes
- ½ cup (125mL) dried apricots, diced
- ½ teaspoon (2.5mL) ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25mL) salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (60mL) buttermilk
- ¼ cup (60mL) vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the honey, egg, buttermilk and butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thoroughly. Stir in the corn.
- Line a 12”X17” baking sheet (deep sided) with Culinary Parchment paper. Pour the batter into the middle of the sheet and spread evenly until 1/2” (1cm) thick. Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheet for a minimum of an hour, or until the cornbread has totally cooled. While the bread is still on the baking sheet, cut into small cubes. Set aside.
- Reduce oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes until soft. Add in the pears, dried apricots, salt and pepper and sauté for a further 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and vegetable stock. Add in the cornbread cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Line muffin tin(s) with “large size” Culinary Parchment baking cups and fill with batter. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve oven to table in baking cups.
Makes 12 cups.